I received a great recipe for chicken tortilla soup from my sweet friend, Tonya. As this is not her exact recipe, she is the one that inspired me to make this delicious soup! I’m so thankful for this recipe because it is so quick and easy and my kids love it! My daughter was just begging me the other evening to “please make chicken tortilla soup.” I know I hadn’t done the preparation that I needed to do for the original recipe so I just used my stove top pot and cooked up a quick batch. The original recipe calls for chicken breasts to cook all day in the crockpot in chicken broth and rotel tomatoes. I hadn’t set my crockpot that morning so I just used the shredded chicken that I just posted about here: https://natkolter.wordpress.com/2014/02/27/healthy-shredded-crockpot-chicken/. This dinner literally took me about 15 minutes to prepare. I do have to say that my son referred to Tonya’s chicken fajitas meal as the “best fajitas EVER”…and her soup is just as good. 🙂
- 1-2 cans of chicken broth (I use one can of low sodium chicken broth or stock and then add water for consistency).
- 1 can of rotel tomatoes
- 2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 TB of Chili powder (or for less spicy…use less)
- 1/2 TB of Red pepper seasoning
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn (or as much as desired)
- 1 can of rinsed and strained black beans (low sodium)
- 1 ziploc bag full of shredded freezer chicken (as instructed in last post)
- water if needed for consistency
TOPPINGS SUGGESTIONS: (this is my kids favorite part-to add toppings)
- Light Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Avacado (my personal favorite as you can see in the photo above)
ENJOY YOUR HEALTHY AND DELICIOUS DINNER!